Seven Reasons We Get Stuck
This comes straight from Lesson 25 - Seven Reasons We Get Stuck:
We’ve been talking about starting and journeying and now you want us to pause? In a word: Yep. We want to catch our breath and look at our Recovery Accomplishments. We need to thank God for our progress and make sure we are still moving forward through the principles and step and that we aren’t STUCK on any particular one.
We’ve presented 25 Lessons and 25 testimonies. Some of us started our journey, others are in the middle and others have seen all the lessons.
So why do we get stuck? What does it mean “getting stuck?” Here are Seven Reasons:
1 – You have not completely worked the previous principle
– Maybe you are trying to move through the principles too quickly. Give God time to work in your life. Example: Your breaks go out when you are driving down a hill. You are going fast but it’s not progress it’s PANIC!! Your journey through CR is a process not a race. The Principles and Steps are tools for a life time. Sing Galatians 5:22 and keep in step with your spiritual fruits.
2 – You have not completely surrendered your will and your life to the Lord
– Remember there are two parts to Principle 3. What parts of your life are you still holding on to? (Be honest now) Proverbs 3: 5-6: Trust in the Lord completely, don’t ever trust in yourself. In everything you do, put God first, and he will direct you and crown your efforts with success.
3 – You have not accepted Jesus’ work on the cross for your forgiveness.
– You must forgive yourself. Jesus loves you no matter what. No matter what you’ve done or what’s been done to you. Jesus loves you no matter what. Ephesians 1:7 (read it) Isaiah 1:18
4 – You have not forgiven others who have harmed you.
– You must let go of past harm and abuse. Until you release it and forgive it will continue to hold you prisoner. There is God’s will, The Devil’s will and your free will. The harm others did to you is from their free will not God’s. 1 Peter 5:10 (this is good reading too)
5 – You are afraid of the risk in making the necessary change.
– Don’t procrastinate. Don’t be paralyzed by the fear of failure. It’s not the falling down… it’s the staying down. Don’t fear being hurt again. Develop realistic expectations and healthy boundaries in relationships. Don’t fear the unknown. “Life isn’t a piece of cake. It’s a pie.” Isaiah 41:10
6 – You are not willing to “Own” your responsibility.
– We aren’t responsible for all thethings that have happened to us. But we are responsible for the way we react to them. Youneed to take ownership & responsibility for your part in a broken relationship. Psalm 139:23
7 – You have not developed an effective support team.
– Do you have a sponsor or accountability partner? Are you volunteering (step 12) in your church? ASK if there are areas you can help. Don’t wait for a request, ASK. Proverbs 13:20, Galatians 5:13 and 6:2 Something to Remember: The roots of happiness grow deepest in the soil of service.
Review Daily Action Plan for Serenity:
A. Continue to take a Daily inventory. When you’re wrong promptly admit it.
B. Study and pray Daily asking God to guide you and apply His teachings to your life.
C. Work and live the principles and steps Daily as best you can in all areas of your life.